11 April 2010

I Like Lists

Ok... John just whipped out a long post... and it was actually coherent and organized. My post? Not so much going to be that way.

Firstly, I'd like to show you a picture:
[Image from this link: http://www.baseballisgood.com/images/86gv5101.jpg; 
thanks to Lauren of Braves Love... I got it from her Twitter]

Second picture of the day:
[Image taken from the article: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=93pennant; 
Credits: Ronald C. Modra/Sports Imagery/Getty Images]









Look at how baby-faced Steve Avery is! Look at how young Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz are! I want to hug them.

ANYWAY.
There are a few noteworthy items about the Braves... and also the Jays. As well as some of those other teams out there. But really, just the Braves.
  • According the Mark Bowman from MLB.com, Martin Prado leads the league in batting and is the first Brave to start a season with with five straight multi-hit games since, that's right, Hank Aaron.
  • Prado's hitting .600 in 20 AB. Actually, the of top 4 guys who are the leaders in batting average [the aforementioned Prado, Placido Polanco (PHI)'s .542, Edgar Renteria (SF)'s .524, and Jeff Francoeur (NYM)'s .476], only one isn't a Brave or an ex-Brave. Conclusion: Braves are awesome.
  • Yunel Escobar. That's really all I have to say about that. Yunel Escobar. Right now, both he and Prado, THE LEAGUE'S AVG LEADER, are both kind of flying under the radar. Which is insane. Defensively speaking, Yunel is just ridiculous. He's so good, such athleticism. I could show you video after video of plays he has made... that are overshadowed by BMac, Chipper, and now, JHey. Not that those three don't deserve the accolades. But Yunel hit .373 last season (2009) with runners in scoring position; that's third in the league. Give the man some attention! Give Yunel and Prado BOTH attention!
  • Blue Jays have won their 5th straight game (they beat Kevin Millwood!). They'll be going into their Home Opener at the top of the AL East, with a record of 5-1. Sick. Love it. I'm liking how the pitching is so far, I think. :D
  • What I don't like is that Aaron Hill is out... :( He's day-to-day, though, just like Chipper.
  • No stories yet about Marco Scutaro's exploits as a Red Sox player... except that he made an error and it was "costly." :( Poor Scutaro.
And while we're on the subject of Ex-Jays... Harry LeRoy Halladay III.  What a monster.  What a beast.  Oh my god, you guys.   He is beyond amazing.   Why, why, WHY does he have to play for the Phillies?   Why isn't he owning the AL East?  Why the hell is he playing in MY division??  Why? 
Allow me to explain why I am both in awe and dismayed:
  • Roy Halladay's first start with the Phillies resulted in a 1.29 ERA. He struck out 9 batters, walked 2, and gave up 1 earned run in 7 innings of work.
  • Roy Halladay's second start as a Phillie lowered his ERA to 0.56. He pitched a complete game, giving up 0 ER, and 8Ks.
  • In 4AB, he's hitting .250. WTFawesome!?


On the game last night: Braves (DLowe) vs. Giants (... don't remember... Wellemeyer!)
  • John and I both agreed that BWags is ridiculously flexible. I wish I could find a video of him stretching. Because... yeah.
  • Derek Lowe sweats so much when he's pitching. It reminds me of Greg Maddux. Also, when Yunel saved our asses last night in the--was it the 6th? I think it was--6th inning, DLowe looked mega relieved. Like, "Thank god this is over." It made me want to give him a hug. But only after he showers. :P
  • San Francisco's in-field is terrible. Their only shining moments are Tim Lincecum and Edgar Renteria.
I think... that will be it for the day. :)

No comments: